Job Title: Area Manager West Nile
Organization: Humanity & Inclusion (Handicap International Federation)
Duty Station: Arua, Uganda
Gross Salary: UGX 8,564,165 /=
Reports to: Regional Program Director
Handicap International Federation (operating under the name Humanity & Inclusion) is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside disabled and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
In Uganda, we work to identify and support those with specific needs, and ensure the meaningful inclusion of refugees and asylum seekers. We assist vulnerable populations from both host and refugee communities by providing physical rehabilitation, mental health and psychosocial support, inclusive education, health and livelihoods. We work in partnership with Disabled Peoples Organisations (DPOs), communities, local leaders, non-governmental organisations, the United Nations and the Ugandan government. Our actions aim to be inclusive of all people in need, targeting the most vulnerable including people with disabilities, and advocating for their rights. We currently work in the 13 districts of Arua, Madi Okollo, Terego, Yumbe, Obongi, Kyegegwa, Kikuube, Isingiro, Mbale, Kiryandongo, Nwoya, Oyam and Gulu.
Our West Nile programme is an important one in our portfolio. In October 2017, HI launched its new programme directed at the refugee response in Arua District, West Nile region, where the organization provided psychosocial support services, community-based rehabilitation, protection of persons with specific needs, and disability inclusion.
HI has now expanded its rehabilitation project with PRM funding to cover all three settlements in Arua District (Omugo, Imvepi and Rhino). In 2019, HI launched an Inclusive Education project with Education Cannot Wait funding in West Nile (Arua, Obongi and Yumbe District) and an award-winning project under DFID funding under the Global Disability Innovation Fund: 3D Printing through Emergency Tele Rehab Access (3D-PETRA) which will bring appropriate, life changing orthopaedic devices to people in need in Arua District. Finally, HI is implementing an Inclusive Health project in Yumbe. HI is legally registered in Uganda. HI’s Head Office is in Kampala, and the West Nile operations are based in the office in Arua Town, with different field offices in operational areas.
Job Summary: Under the responsibility of the Regional Program Director, the Area Manager contributes within the West Nile operations to the implementation of the mandate and the 10-year strategy of Humanity & Inclusion. He/she ensures optimal quality and impact of the projects implemented in the area, through a delegation system with appropriate control mechanisms. He/she shares with all HI managers the responsibility of a sound management and successful functioning of the global organization, through paradigm changes
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Area Manager is responsible for developing and implementing, in the area where he/she is based, the projects part of the Programme operational strategy.
- Under the guidance of his/ her line management and other relevant departments, he/she deploys all adequate tools that will allow project monitoring, financial controlling and compliance with HI policies and frameworks (in particular HI Project Monitoring & Evaluation policy), and the respect of contractual obligations towards donors.
- He/she contributes to monitor and analyse context developments in his/her geographical area, in order to identify operational risks and opportunities, and proposes actions to his / her line management.
- He/she contributes to organizational transformation in line with Lean, Shared Services and ROOTS projects.
- He/she follows up security management, coordinate shared services and operations team on a daily basis to facilitate activities implementation
- The position is based in Arua Town, with frequent travels to the project sites across West Nile (Yumbe, Obongi, Madi Okollo, Terego, Arua).
Be the manager (direct report) of the Project managers’ team in the area of assignment
- Foster a team spirit and team functioning guaranteeing synergies and exchange of good practices between the Project managers.
- Size and plan human resources needs of the projects in the Area.
- Recruit and contribute to the professional development, autonomy and well-being at work of the project managers: set formalized individual objectives, ensure coherence between HI’s needs and competencies and motivation of his/her teams, develop and monitor competence development plan, evaluate individual performance, contribute to career evolution.
- Acknowledge individual and collective efforts and performance.
- Embody and transmit HI values, ensure compliance with code of conduct and institutional policies, ensure the expected mind set and individual and collective behaviours, and disciplinary measures when necessary.
- Ensure good collaboration between project managers and support teams (technical and shared services, functional link), in order to facilitate project implementation in the area; conduct regular project reviews with project managers and relevant departments.
- Participate to the Programme Steering Committee conducted by the line manager when relevant.
- Steer organization transformation, in particular through managerial and work practice change and continuous improvement of working processes
Contribution to the Programme’s Operational strategy and HI frameworks & regulations
- Contribute to the development of the Programme’s Operational Strategy, and to its implementation and annual monitoring
- Contribute to the assessments of ongoing projects, contribution to context and sectorial analysis, contribution to fundraising strategy, to resource sizing, to M&E tool…
- Contribute, with his/her portfolio of projects and donors’ data, to the annual monitoring of the StratOp and to next year’s Programme planning (namely support missions and evaluations).
- In case of crisis/emergency, implement the framework and set-up as determined
- Implement the project part of the Programme’s Operational Strategy:
- Size and plan necessary resources, recruit the project managers (ensure the fit between competencies and the projects’ challenges and ambitions), develop and monitor their competence development plan, in link with the corresponding professional channels and with Human Resources department.
- When relevant, develop regular contacts with current and potential donors at field level and liaise with line Manager to check coherence with overall Programming and fundraising strategy.
- Within the operational framework defined in the StratOp, identify and transform funding opportunities in the area of assignment, conduct the design and writing of new projects and contribute to the design, writing and fundraising of major multi-country projects
- In link with the Technical Unit, identify and develop local partnerships and/or consortia with NGOs, institutions, companies; on technical priorities or important topics in the area.
- Ensure the deployment of and compliance with HI global frameworks, institutional policies and standards.
- These include: the mandatory reference frameworks (such as HI Mission & Values or HI Theory of Change: Access to services), all HI’s institutional policies (Security / Code of Conduct and Safeguarding / Bribery prevention / PME and Project Quality Framework / Age-Gender-Disability), all institutional directives and processes; delegation thresholds; security levels.
- Ensure sound management and monitoring of projects under his/her responsibility:
- In link with the Technical Unit and the MEAL Unit, ensure that HI technical quality standards are applied in the projects, and monitor the implementation of recommendations from support missions, evaluations and donor audits.
- Ensure compliance with project donors’ rules and regulations, including visibility.
- With the support of the MEAL Unit, deploy all adequate tools that will allow financial control and project monitoring, compliance with HI policies and frameworks, and the respect of contractual obligations towards donors: consolidation, control and reporting to the line Manager of operational and organizational elements (dashboards and corrective measures, unrestricted funds consumption, beneficiaries data…).
- Facilitate internal audits (operational, financial and organizational), and ensure the implementation of their recommendations on his/her responsibility area
- With both operational opportunities and risks in mind, contribute to the monitoring and analysis made by the line Manager, and propose mitigation measures when relevant
- In link with the line Manager, implement analysis and monitoring of risks & opportunities related to HI presence and activities; implement risk mitigation actions at his/her level
- Support the Regional Program Director in monitoring the security of the program and ensure internal resources for employees according to the context
- Develop a network of contacts with security/context staff of fellow INGOs, represent HI in access, security and safety meetings
- Provide feedback and advice on security risks, as well as on security management resources, such as SOPs, and proposals
- In collaboration with the Regional Program Director and Senior Management Team, update the security and contingency plans according to the evolution of the context
- Support the Regional Program Director on exploratory mission assessments, identification of office/guesthouses, and the opening of new areas
- Assist the Regional Program Director in sensitizing HI staff (national and international) to security risks and ensuring the understanding and implementation of security documents
- Develop external influence of HI and the external representation of the organization his/her responsibilities area
- Can represent HI vis-a-vis local, national, traditional, political, military and diplomatic authorities and bodies; and international organizations and coordination mechanisms & system.
- Relay he messages of HI global advocacy to all relevant external parties.
- Develop local partnerships, in link with the line Manager.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Handicap International job placement must have at least 5-7 years of professional experience in humanitarian or development contexts, preferably in the management of complex refugee responses;
- At least 5 years of experience in a similar position
- Knowledge of donor strategies and procedures;
- Knowledge of all aspects of project management
- Previous security management experience mandatory;
- Previous field office management experience is a strong asset;
- Previous working experience with Humanity & Inclusion is a strong asset;
- Proven managerial experience;
- Proven representation experience;
- Strong communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills;
- English mandatory (oral and written),
- Strong writing and reporting skills
Essential: Ability to work under high pressure
Starting Date: 15th January 2021
Length of contract: 1-year renewable
Gross Salary: UGX 8,564,165
- Humanity and Inclusion is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we encourage females and persons with disabilities to apply to become a part of our organization.
- HI staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the Code of Conduct. In accordance with these values, HI operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-fraud, bribery, and corruption.
- HI does not solicit funds in exchange for employment opportunities
How to Apply:
If you feel you meet the requirements, please send an updated CV (3 pages max, including three professional referees current and/or past line managers) with a cover letter as One Document to HR department at: firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Application for Area Manager
Deadline: Saturday, 31st October 2020 by 5:00pm
Related Jobs (6)
Human Resource and Administration Manager- Tanzania on November 18, 2020 Full Time