Job Title: Legal Officer
Organization: International Rescue Committee
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Legal Manager
The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. It was created by Albert Einstein more than 80 years and has been working in Uganda since 1998. It has particularly working in the conflict zones where tens of thousands of people have been kills and over 1.6 million displaced. Following a peace agreement in 2006, Ugandans are returning home and looking to rebuild their lives. The IRC is there to protect women and children from violence and exploitation by fostering a safe environment and encouraging education, and is supporting farmers and small businesses, and helping communities promote peace and long-term development.
Job Summary: Under the supervision of Legal Manager, she/he will identify legal needs in the field; provide counseling, and information. The Legal Officer will be responsible for conducting legal information sessions, legal case management and follow ups, awareness creation on rights and obligations of refugees under Ugandan Laws. She/he will work with communities particularly to ensure access to legal assistance is accessible by all. He/she will be part of an integrated protection team, working on issues on general protection and sexual and gender-based violence issues.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Together with Protection Officers support community leadership structures in their crime prevention and response functions.
- Provide legal counseling and information to refugees and other persons of concern.
- Conduct legal information sessions on human rights and key Laws relating to protection of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Conduct case management and follow up on legal cases with relevant authorities.
- Closely work with Police to provide necessary assistance to survivors, clients and witnesses.
- Submit daily and weekly data, including narrative of high risk cases to inform appropriate actions.
- Support to analyze data, highlight trends and legal protection needs of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Participate in external meetings aimed at promoting access to justice for refugees and legal assistance such as meetings involving UNHCR, OPM and partners.
- Work closely with the Protection Officers to ensure linkages and referrals are done in a safe, effective, and timely manner.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the International Rescue Committee (IRC) Legal Officer job placement must hold a degree in Law from a recognized university. Diploma holders in law from a recognized institution with demonstrable work experience in the field of law may be considered.
- At least two (2) years of prior professional experience in a similar post, preferably with an international Organization, a law firm or human rights organization.
- Understanding of human rights and issues relating to gender equality
- Strong written and verbal communication ability in English
- Ability to gain trust and build relationships with new communities.
- Good understanding of Ugandan and Refugee Law;
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Experience in regular report writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online at the link below.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Deadline: 15th July 2020